Saturday, February 14, 2009

If I Were to Worrie

If I had no job, no family support and no other means of income, I would not choose to bring 8 new children into the world on top of the 6 I already had. Go back 41 years though, and offer me a choice about whether or not a 19 year old girl with an 8th grade education, an abusive husband and no means of independent financial support should have had yet a third child and I might have a different opinion, since that third child was me.

I try not to make judgments about the personal choices of other individuals. I am not perfect and so obviously, the judgments come. But, I do not want to pretend that I know what is best for others. While I do not like the idea of having to pick up the tab for raising someone else's children, I am not the one who will say if those children should or should not have been born. It is true, these children could grow up to be drains on society and leave the world a worse place, but one of them could also be the next Einstein or Gandhi or find the cure for cancer. More than likely, they will be average Joes, like the rest of us. Living mundane lives, not taking much more than they give and not giving much more than they take. Simply weaving themselves into the fabric of human existence.

1 comment:

Bailey and Cali - Two Pups, One Tale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.