Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Recapturing my Youth

Well, for those of you who don't face book regularly, I will begin my blog with the quote of the day.  It went something like this.  (read it in your best Valley Girl voice) "Like, everyone is staying in town today.  Well, except the old people...(room gasps)..Oh, sorry Mat, I didn't see you sitting there."  

And so the day began.  Yesterday the blind led the blind and today the old healed the old.  The work with the seniors at the nursing home was, again, very rewarding.  All was going well until I referred to them, as a group, as Viejos (Old People).  Anyone reading who knows Spanish is already cringing.  Sister Julia Maria was gracious,  but quick to correct me and let me know that the proper word is ancianos which means elderly and obviously sounds better than old people.  Strange that this is the less offensive word when you imagine that it must come from the same latin word from which "ancient" was drawn.  (not a confirmed origin)

Following our placements, the CCS staff drove us to San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, to see el Museo de Oro (Museum of Gold).  The drive over was very nice.  It's took about an hour and wound us through beautiful mountains.  We haven't seen the sun or blue sky since we arrived Sunday, due to the rain, so you can imagine how green everything is.  The museum was very cool, a collection of gold figurine artifacts that give insights into the influences on the Costa Rican People over the years.  

Since it had been established that the "old people" wouldn't be staying on, I had to do what any self respecting old person would do...prove them youngsters wrong by staying.  The city was very cool.  Much like any large city and then very different at the same time.  I took several pictures and, as soon as I get over my lameness, I'll post some of them on face book.  We returned to Puriscal via bus which cost us a whopping $1.50 US. 

Until next time...

No comments: