Monday, May 31, 2010

The Road To Barbacoa

Yesterday I ventured out on foot in search of a view of the Pacific Ocean.  I had been told that there was a mountain top in a neighboring town, Barbacoa, from which, on a clear day, the Ocean could be seen.  The road from Puriscal to Barbacoa is a winding road with many ups and downs.  Some of the hills were so steep that I could stand at a 45 degree angle to the road and not be the least bit strained.  You can imagine the views to be seen from a road that runs up and down the mountains of a country that is primarily rain forest.  

Half way to Barbacoa, I came across a motocross event.  Hundreds of people from the surrounding community were gathered there to watch.  It was set up right along the main road and for anyone who grew up where there were water holes that people go to for swimming in the summer, it felt a lot like that, with cars parked randomly along the roadside and people coming and going.  

When I finally got to Barbacoa (only 4 miles, but don't forget those hills) I was pretty exhausted. I dragged myself into a store and bought a bottle of water and a banana.  In my best Spanish I said, "De donde es la vista de la Oceana Pacifica?"  The woman looked at me puzzled so I repeated myself to which she replied in her best disgusted voice..."Just say it to me in English would ya."  So in the end, she told me I'd have to go another 2 miles up the road and I just didn't think I could do it so I decided to take a rest.  I was standing out like a sore thumb because they are not used to getting tourists in Barbacoa, so I went across the street and entered the catholic church were I felt I could rest without being too conspicuous.  The church was ok from the outside. The siding was sheet metal, but they had made two bell towers in the front to give a better shape than just a big square metal building.  When I walked inside, I was blown away.  It was absolutely gorgeous.  I won't bore you with a description here, but when I get to it, I'll post the photos I took on face book and you can see what I mean.  

So after about a half hour I decided to head home.  I dragged myself up and the mountains again.  As I approached the last major climb into Puriscal, I thought to myself, "I don't think I can make it."   and like a miracle, a Taxi pulled out of some loan driveway out of nowhere.  I, without shame, jumped up and down and yelled to him that I needed a ride.  So, for the last       1 1/2 miles, I rode comfortably in the back of his jeep.  All total, I walked 6 1/2 miles.  It was a great adventure.  Thanks for sharing it with me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would have been all over that taxi. You are such an adventure boy! I am so proud of you.

rachel fay said...

sounds kind of awful!