Thursday, June 3, 2010

Won't Be Forgotten

When it was time to leave for my trip, it occurred to me that it was possible that after 4 weeks away, Rose may not remember me much.  Given her fragile memory and "in the moment" existence, it wouldn't be all that surprising.  I know that I hold a very special place in her heart, and in that 'you become a part of someone' way, she will never forget me, even if the day comes that she doesn't recognize me when I walk in the room. 

What I have decided now is that Rose had her own concerns as to whether or not I would forget her.  In response to that fear, I firmly believe that, she found a way to transform her spirit and channel it into the body of dear Rosario, who resides at St Vicente's Nursing Home.  Each day as I walk through the gate, I hear from across the court yard, "Mateo, venga.  Necesito un beso." (Mat come here, I need a kiss.)  She grabs my face tightly with a grip that defies the ability of the frail body that is attached and pulls my face in as we kiss each other on the cheek.   We visit for a few minutes, though quite honestly I don't know exactly what we are talking about.  (Though I do know that at times, she is being quite suggestive.)  I explain to her how I have to go to get the exercises started and she puts on the fake tears as if I am so neglecting her.  I flash her a smile and she can't fake the tears any longer.  Her face lights up as she instructs me to give her another kiss.  She tries once more to entice me to stay but when I say she can come with me to the exercise class, somehow she is suddenly fine with my leaving.  She is satisfied by my promise to return before lunch for a little foot massage, and says "Ay munueco con lose ojos azule."  (roughly: oh you doll with those blue eyes.)  If I had a dime for every time Rose has said this to me, we could all retire.  I walk away knowing, I am not forgotten, nor will I ever forget.  

3 comments:

rachel fay said...

in rare moments we truly experience the deep and abiding connection that always exists between each of us; we realize there are fewer boundaries than we thought.

Unknown said...

I am so lucky to have you as my husband!

Unknown said...

By the way, fat chance of her forgetting you. She asks daily, "Where's Mat?" And laments that you have been gone a long time. She said at dinner tonight that she misses your sense of humor.