Monday, June 3, 2013

A Mentor's Advice

For my friends who know Marshall, you will especially appreciate this little poem that I jotted down one day recently after a chat with him.  For those who don't know Marshall he is a wise mentor that I am fortunate to have in my life

"Keep writing my friend" that's what he said
More from your heart and less from your head
Deep from your soul, the core of your being
Probe the mystery, explore the meaning.

The meaning of meaningless?
The something of nothing?
What are you talking about?
You've got to be joking.

If it's a joke it's a joke
but the truth is the truth
try to accept it
without all the proof
Learn to love yourself for all that you are
Dive into the abyss, you can't go too far

Sometimes it feels crazy
but I know that you're right
I'll embrace my sorrow
and run toward my fright
I'll embrace my shadow in the darkest of places
and find the integrity in all of my faces

Whether weak, wise, or strong
You cannot go wrong
your life IS the path
it has been all along.

2 comments:

rachel fay said...

well done, mat. truth is true.
and i can't wait to see you all in july!
hugs

Ursula said...

I miss talking to you. I never found out what happened exactly. Nobody has said, so I have a lot of wild imagination about it and it's not entirely comfortable. Closure? Start over? I'm wondering if we are still friends. I'm enjoying your old blogs again and wishing you'd write some new ones, though I suppose you have too much going on to add anything else. Sorry if I'm annoying you, but you know how it is. I have surgery this week and I'm antsy about it. Plus the usual antsiness.